Taproot's pro bono services are now available to NGOs in the United Kingdom and India! Click here to register for our 5/30 webinar to learn about our programs.

Epilepsy Foundation New England Inc.

Marketing campaign design

Marketing Strategy

Project details

Target skills

  • Marketing strategy
  • Social media strategy
  • Content management
  • Marketing management

This organization has completed 1 project on Taproot+

Project need

We seek assistance with the development of a multi-channel marketing campaign and implementation plan with the following goals:

• Encourage people with epilepsy, their caregivers, family and friends to engage with EFNE. For people with epilepsy and their caregivers, this means taking advantage of our services and using us to connect with others who are affected by epilepsy. For all groups of people noted above to become volunteers for EFNE and/or advocates for people with epilepsy.
• By increasing engagement, we hope to increase the number of donors to the Foundation and, secondarily, with clothing donations to the Epilepsy Foundation New England Donation Center.
• Leverage an activated community to build the visibility and awareness of epilepsy and the Foundation. Our model is Autism Speaks, which has been enormously successful through creation and motivation of an activist community.

While those we need to reach include many demographic clusters, our primary focus is on people with epilepsy between the ages of 13 and 22. Our experience has shown that once engaged they become our most active outreach agents, advocates and fundraisers. Their advocacy activity has shown that they are more willing to openly talk about their epilepsy than older people and at our 2018 Walk, the majority of teams that raised significant money were organized by these young people. Nevertheless, our campaign also has to reach older people who are connected to these young people.
Epilepsy is the 4th most common neurological problem in the US – only migraine, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease occur more frequently. In fact, during our lifetimes, one in twenty-six of us will suffer with epilepsy. Chances are you know people who live with the condition, though some may not have told you that they have it, fearing the stigma often associated with epilepsy will change your perception of them. Thankfully, 70% percent of people with epilepsy have their seizures controlled by medication. The remaining 30% experience repeated episodes that can cause severe neurological damage, even death. Its effects can be heartbreaking.

Epilepsy Foundation New England (EFNE) is a social service agency that provides a variety of support services to the 100,000 people with epilepsy and their caregivers across Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.
Last year we were fortunate to find a consultant on Taproot who helped us rethink our brand. One of the most important themes that emerged is that our organization helps people with epilepsy feel “normal”. In doing so, we dramatically improve their quality of life. This optimistic message is likely to be at the core of our campaign. We are looking for a marketing expert to lead us in conceptualizing and planning a campaign to reach our goals. We need someone who can take us from the abstract brand to a concrete campaign that includes storyboarding, limited market research, recommendations for materials, the use of internet media and PR. We want someone to guide us, set realistic goals, and formulate a campaign that we can afford and has the greatest chance to yield results.

Behind this request is a committed management team and Board that have made the marketing campaign a top priority and are prepared to spend 20+ hours a week supporting this project. As a non-profit, EFNE has limited funds and will be looking to optimize our resources. We have approximately $30,000 budgeted for the development and execution of this campaign.

Organization's mission

Our mission is to help people and families affected by epilepsy in New England.

Step 1: Apply

Send the below info, and if interested, the nonprofit will select a time for a phone interview. You'll get a confirmation with everything you need to know.

More questions? Check out our FAQ

Step 2: Interview

You'll have a 30 minute call to discuss the scope and deliverables of the project directly with Epilepsy Foundation New England Inc., and for them to confirm you're a good fit.

Step 3: Start

Once accepted, you'll be able to get right to work. We will check in with you periodically to make sure you have everything you need.