Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries
Website design and development
Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries (FOPSL) would like a consultant to work with us to help us create a new website for our organization. We are looking for a consultant that can help us choose the right website platform, incorporate a new online donation form, create a new, clean and modern design, and optimize our site navigation.
The right web-site platform will:
• Allow us to incorporate video
• Allow us to incorporate a new online donation platform
• Ensure our site is optimized for mobile
• Allow us to edit the web-site ourselves
• Include a small, searchable database of research about school libraries and literacy
• Include contact forms
• Include a secure section for our volunteers with a volunteer calendar
• Be cost-effective
Our goal is to complete this project by the end of May to correspond with the launch of an advocacy video. FOPSL is the only community organization in Oakland, CA focused solely on ensuring every Oakland Unified school student has access to a quality school library, staffed with a professional librarian. We advocate for school libraries, provide direct support to school libraries through individual library book grants and skilled volunteer support, and provide professional development scholarships for OUSD library staff. Substantial research has shown that libraries are an important and effective support for any literacy program. School libraries provide a curated collection of books of all genres and reading levels. Librarians teach students how to research topics and find credible sources. Strong literacy skills lead to academic achievement at every level. In a school district where only 34% of students are reading at grade level and 40% of libraries are closed, our work is critical.
We are creating a video for parents of students at OUSD schools that do not have open school libraries. We believe that parent advocacy, in addition to our own and that of OUSD Library staff, will help shift District priorities to support school libraries. Our project is supported by District Library Services. Our web-site will provide access to this video, accompanying advocacy toolkit and research.
Our web-site is the principal way we communicate with prospective and current donors. It is outdated, and we need a new, more flexible online donation form to help inspire and increase donations. We have taken the following steps to prepare for this project:
• We attended a Taproot speed consulting session with three consultants who provided constructive feedback about our current web-site.
o We met independently with one of the consultants from that session for an hour to further discuss our potential messaging on our new web-site and to better understand best practices for web-sites.
o We attended a more in-depth Taproot consulting session and were able to spend 2 hours with four different web-site and marketing consultants where we discussed our new web-site plans.
• We have viewed various web-sites looking for features and designs that we like.
• We have worked on the overarching messages for the web-site.
• We have collected photos that we would like included on our web-site.
• We are researching on-line donation forms and hope to make a decision about a vendor shortly. We are open to discussing this decision with the consultant as well.
OUR MISSION IS TO ENSURE THAT EVERY OUSD STUDENT HAS ACCESS TO A QUALITY SCHOOL LIBRARY.
Step 1: Apply
Send the below info, and if interested, the nonprofit will select a time for a phone interview. You'll get a confirmation with everything you need to know.
Step 2: Interview
You'll have a 30 minute call to discuss the scope and deliverables of the project directly with Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries, and for them to confirm you're a good fit.
Step 3: Start
Once accepted, you'll be able to get right to work. We will check in with you periodically to make sure you have everything you need.